Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Being in the Right Place

Today Tzahal took out a high level Hamas leader and Hamas and their friends have vowed revenge - big time.  Apparently people in the reserves are being called up, and the government is advising people within 70 km of Gaza to go into their shelters.

It is very scary. 

But for the first time in my life, instead of feeling that gut-wrenching worry from 6000 miles away, I am here going through it with the rest of our country and our people.

Hundreds of rockets hit the Gaza region and the news ignored it.  It was all over Facebook and Twitter, but never picked up in the mainstream media. So, since the media rules the world, it never happened.  You can bet this attack on a Hamas military leader by the Israeli army will get plenty of press, though.

So, my reaction to this event today is -I am here.  I am not trying to be glib about this, chas v'shalom.  I am trying to get my head around the fact that I am part of this country instead of an observer of it.  It is my country, my people, and my war.  Don't think I've ever felt like that before.  It's a very new experience.

But I feel proud - of how Israel behaves, of its brave soldiers, and of its smarts.  And, OK, I feel a little proud of me for being on this side of the world, finally. 

Finally, I'm in the right place.

1 comment: