Friday, April 4, 2014

What I'm Reading

OK, first of all, I am not saying I'm proud of this, but it is a fact.  I love reading women's magazines, like Good Housekeeping, Women's Day, even (ok, especially) People magazine - you know what I'm talking about.  I mean, I read other stuff too (for example, books), but I do love me a good dumb magazine.


I am not allowed to look at them before the weekend.  I have rules.  When I lived in Baltimore, by Friday afternoon, I'd have a pile of magazines and catalogs (yes, I even like looking at catalogs) to keep me busy.

For me, it's total relaxation. I would rather read about the problems of rich movie stars than think about my own, and I love reading stories about people who overcome adversity and push through, whether or not it's true.

But - there is one downside to aliyah.  You can't get those magazines here in Israel. Now you feel sorry for me, right?  I can feel you feeling my pain, so thanks.

Sometimes friends/family bring magazines here for us from America and it is like the whole neighborhood celebrates - it's reason for a kiddush, I tell you. "The Leibtags have five issues of Good Housekeeping!  Get the herring!"

When one walks into the home of a friend, and sees one of these magazines in said friend's home, one's eyes focus laser-like on the magazine until said friend agrees to share.

Because, like I said, you can't get those magazines here. Well, that's not completely true.  You can get some magazines, depending on which day/hour/minute you visit the bookstores.

Today I found the following:
  • A February issue of People for about $7
  • A January issue of Style Watch for about $10
  • A February issue of "O" for about $12

Yes, those prices are real.

And, um, I MAY have purchased one.  Or two. Or all of them.

I once purchased an InStyle that cost me almost $20.  But it was for Chag!  Special!


Gotta go.  My neighbors saw me walk in the with the magazines and I have to hide them for a few days.






3 comments:

  1. It is possible to get magazines through the local US public library using Zinio. The magazines have to be read on a computer or tablet, though. You can check out as many as you want and there is no due date. I assume that all you would need is the library card number of someone who lives in the US and has a participating library. They have Good Housekeeping, People, Oprah, cars, health, hobbies, National Geographic, Readers Digest, etc. Zinio also has paid subscriptions that can be viewed without the library, but I haven't tried buying since I get them for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info - unfortunately I usually want to read on Shabbat so I can't read them on a tablet or computer! But this is a great idea, and I'm going to look into it. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. I receive Good Housekeeping through the mail. It was a gift from my sister, so I don't know how much extra it costs, but it's worth looking into. She also bought my other sister (who lives here in Israel) a subscription to Oprah. When we see each other, we swap. The one magazine that I would love to get (Real Simple) doesn't have international subscriptions. :-(

    ReplyDelete