Tuesday, March 6, 2012

OMG

So today was one of those days when I realized what it means to live in Israel.  I don't think it has really hit me like this in the over two months we've been here.  It's been a constant whirlwind (is that an oxymoron?) of offices, papers, movers, unpacking, learning Hebrew, etc. etc. etc.  

First, as I drove to Ulpan, the streets were filled with people taking their kids to school and gan, and every single kid was dressed in a Purim costume.  I mean everyone is excited about Purim. And I just kept smiling - this is our country, with our holidays, and we are not the foreigners or strangers.  When you get that it's an overwhelming feeling.

Today my daughter and I went into Jerusalem to meet a cousin visiting from Canada.  It was just a routine kind of drive into the city, find the hotel, etc. etc.

But it is not routine when you are driving into Jerusalem.  I've always loved that entry into the city, the hills, the narrow streets, but it's always been as a tourist.

We drove into the city in a way where you kind of creep up on the walls of the Old City.  Suddenly, on your left, is the Old City.  It takes your breath away.  It is so majestic, so ancient, so full of who and what we are, and I live here!  I kept saying that to myself.  How lucky am I - I can come here whenever I want, it's part of my country, where I live.

All I can say is, my heart was full.  I was glowing on the inside, just loving our decision to come home, to be where we're supposed to be - with all its frustrations and quirks, it is ours.  I think for the first time in my life I feel complete in a way I didn't think I could be.

Baruch Hashem.

1 comment: