Sunday, March 10, 2013

Doctor Day

Before we begin, let me bring you up to date after my last blog.  The package came!  Miracle of miracles, a man came to my door with a package and it was the right package and it had my things in it and I was so thrilled!

OK, back to today. Today was medical appointment day.  In Hebrew. Just imagine. Oh no, you can't.  Believe me. 

I decided it was time for a dental checkup.  In this country, it is not understood that the dental exam and dental cleaning will both happen at the same time.  I knew that!  Gila told me!  Yay!  So, savvy as I was, I went online and filled out a form asking them to contact me for an appointment.  They did!  I asked the guy who called if I could speak in English, and he said yes.   I said I want both an exam and a cleaning.  He said, fine. He gave me a time and date.  I am so set!

Went to the dentist, all set. A nice lady greeted me and I told her that it was my first visit to this office, and she checked that I indeed had an appointment.  I was about to ask, "Don't I have to fill out some paperwork?" but I mean, she was the official greeter and she didn't tell me to fill out a form, so who am I to question the Greeter Lady?

After 45 minutes it was my turn and the dentist asked for my file.  Uh oh.  No file.  Greeter Lady had slipped up, dropped the dental floss so to speak.  So, she gave me the form.  Uh oh again.  There was a LOT of Hebrew on that form. I filled out some things in English, because what are they going to do, send me home?

I had brought the x-rays from my last visit to the dentist in Baltimore.  I showed them to the dentist.   She was unimpressed, and I thought they were some good looking x-rays. She was not impressed.  Anyway, they took more, she examined me, and she said, "You also need to get a cleaning."

Hmmmm.  I explained to her that the appointment was supposed to be for both.  But, of course, even though phone man had told me he had done this, he had not.  Now I have to go back again in April.

Physical therapy:
The PT person asked me how I was doing and I explained (in Hebrew, thank you) that I was much improved.  Then she started talking. Fast. With lots of words that I did not know. I tried to do what you are supposed to do when listening to a new language - just listen, don't try to translate word for word, get the gist of it, etc.

So I THINK she said that if I didn't get better in 3 weeks she would do some sort of procedure that had to do with putting pressure on my lower back.  I think it involved her jumping up and down on my back singing Hatikvah while I lay on the floor, but I'm not absolutely sure.  Then she said that in three weeks I had two choices.

OK, I thought, listen carefully, because she is going to give me two choices. 

OK, one choice was to come back for more therapy, I understood that.  And the other was.....was......  Yikes!  I didn't really understand it.  I stared at her and she explained it again.  OK, I heard words about a phone call and I think I got it.  I repeated it to her and she nodded and smiled.  Now, either she nodded and smiled, thinking, "Oh forget it - this stupid woman is never going to understand, let me just get her out of here so I can eat lunch," or I really did get it right.

All in all, I did it all in Hebrew so I guess it was a semi-success.


1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading some of your posts and adapting to new yet exciting things. I can only dream of seeing the things you see!

    Although not the same, when my husband was in the Army we were stationed in Germany and we opted to live off base on the economy(as it was called), and each day was time spent learning how to live, speak, and act like my neighbors...oh how exciting yet frightening! I had two of my sons there and went to all my appointments to German doctors and look back amazed at how courageous I was.

    I wonder if I could do the same today, nearly 21 years later? Anyhow, hats off to you...and may you continue with these moments of success to ensure that all is well and you are indeed where you should be!

    Take care,
    New Mexico